It is a fact that all homes need regular maintenance. Use this list as start to help you keep the value in your home where it should be. Use the empty lines to add things specific to your home.
- Change furnace and air conditioner filters unless you have the very thick filter of that are good for 60 or 90 days
- Check for leaks underneath the sinks and areas of the plumbing that are visible
- Test the GFCI Outlets and AFCI breakers in the electric panel if installed
- Check and/or test sump pump
In the spring
- Check your attic and roof for any roof leaks and damages that may have begun due to winter ice. Consider hiring this out due to safety.
- In late spring clean your gutters and downspouts
- Check the slope of the soil on the exterior of your house and add soil as needed to help direct rain away from your foundation and lower areas of the house such as basements and crawl spaces. Look also in basements and crawl spaces for moisture.
- Repair any siding that got loose or damaged from winter
- Paint any exterior trim that is in need. Caulk things as needed
- Stain any decks surfaces in need. Every 3-5 years typically
- Clean your gutters and downspouts
- Have your chimney cleaned if it is solid fuel burning
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms every fall typically done on Thanksgiving
- Clean your dryer duct work of lint and the filter for the range hood
- Shut off exterior faucets to prevent freezing in the winter
Once or twice a year
- Check the water heater for leaks and corrosion, if your water heater is getting old watch it more frequently
- Watch windows for double panes that have lost their seals
- Notice any ceiling stains from plumbing or roof leaks.
The Habitation Investigation company provides home inspections in the Central Ohio Columbus and home inspection in the Dayton Ohio areas, Hilliard, Powell, Pickerington, Pataskala, New Albany, Delaware, Gahanna, Westerville, Galloway, Grove City, Worthington, Dublin, Marysville, London, West Jefferson, Mechanicsburg and other cities surrounding Columbus, Ohio. The most/best reviewed home inspection company in Columbus Ohio is Habitation Investigation LLC. The website is: http://www.homeinspectionsinohio.com